The Machan is willing to offer Room & Board, Food and a min Stipend to candidates interested in researching and spending their time in the rich bio-diverse region of the Western Ghats near Lonavala, India. Naturalists are welcome to carry out independent research at The Machan. Besides conducting their independent research while at The Machan it will be requested of the naturalists to aid in improving the ecosystem on the 25 acre reserve. It will be greatly appreciated if the naturalists share their research results as well as experiences with The Machan Team and the guests that frequent this eco-resort.
A few guidelines and expectations for the naturalist are listed below. We are looking for this to be a win-win situation for all involved. Please feel free to contact us for any further information or clarity that you may seek.
Plans, develops, and conducts programs to inform guests of historical, natural, and scientific features of the resort and the surrounding area: Confers with resort management to determine subjects to be presented and program schedule. Surveys resort to determine forest conditions and distribution and abundance of fauna and flora. Interviews specialists in desired fields to obtain and develop data for programs.
· Educates guests about the Western Ghats geology, geography, natural history, ecology, culture, and all aspects of natural life.
· Ensures that each guest receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting and acknowledging every guest, maintaining solid resort knowledge and all other aspects of guest service.
· Becomes knowledgeable about The Machan’s mission, goals, objectives, Company structure and programs to aid in answering guest questions, direct sales and promote activism.
· Continually improves presentations by researching and implementing new material on all applicable subjects.
· Maintains an awareness of all internal promotions and advertisements.
· Interacts with guests and initiates “teachable moments”
· Must posses and demonstrate enthusiasm for nature, conservation and education.
· Addresses guests questions and comments.
· Ensures guest safety through constant situational awareness.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
· B.A or B.S. in Natural Sciences. Studies in Marine Biology, Ecology, Zoology, and Environmental Science preferred
· Previous experience as a naturalist.
·People-oriented with strong communication skills
·Public speaking experience
·Positive attitude, enthusiastic and outgoing
·Flexible and team player
·Self-motivated and strong work ethic
Onsite at the resort in Lonavala, India. Room & Board, Food and a min Stipend shall be provided for folks looking to apply themselves to this cause.
Grauate/Post Graduate Students looking to complete their Field Work are welcome to apply as well.