This is a unique opportunity to run the Research and Development division of an international not-for-profit research and development organisation based in London. With research and development programmes based in Belize, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Fiji, Madagascar, Tanzania and Tenerife, Frontier is conducting vital projects around the world in environmental research, ecosystem services, sustainable livelihoods and community development. We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Head of Research to take over the management of the Research and Development division and to build on the exciting work which these conservation and development programmes have already achieved. With experience in fundraising, grant writing and developing and managing projects and research programmes, you will have the skills required to run the division efficiently and effectively. With comprehensive knowledge of the conservation and/or development sector you will be able to identify key areas and new opportunities for expansion and will be able to use this knowledge to build up additional relationships and collaborations.
GENERAL OUTLINE OF THE ROLE:
- Supervise the science and research aspect of all expeditions and field projects including staff, communications, project and scientific reporting, and promotion.
- Manage all activities of Research & Development department and ensure all reporting requirements are adhered to for all field projects and R&D; communicating effectively with field projects;
- Oversee all field research and science work to ensure required standard is achieved and consistency is maintained;
- Monitor and evaluate project outputs across all projects/locations;
- Secure funding though grant applications and the identification of new sources of finance, including sponsorship opportunities;
- To assist in the management of all donor funded activities; producing internal reports and reports requested by donor agencies;
- To manage all staff and interns in the R & D departments; Assist with the management of all Operations staff and interns;
- Supervision of all field staff activities and ensure all reporting requirements are adhered to; communicating effectively with field projects;
- Ensuring the smooth running of the field projects through efficient organization of recruitment and reporting systems;
- To monitor and evaluate general project activities, budgets, resources, camp locations / relocations and logistics and advise on change or action as necessary;
- Manage the recruitment, interviewing, briefing, training, appraisal and on-going development of staff in the field and in the head office;
Contract Duration: Permanent after 3-6 month probation period;
Working Hours: 9.30am – 5.30pm during weekdays. Some evenings and weekends as the role requires;
Salary: Competitive (dependent upon skills and experience);
Leave Entitlement: 20 working days excluding public and bank holidays;
Training: Initial training and on-going professional development;
For a full job description, please visit https://frontier.ac.uk/Recruit/ViewJob.aspx?job=98
Please send your CV (no more than 2 pages) and a cover letter (no more than one page) that addresses the criteria in the person specification. In your letter include which post you're applying for, your suitability and your availability. We shortlist only candidates who meet the criteria in the person specification, so make sure your cover letter gives clear evidence of your suitability.
Applications will be assessed as soon as they arrive.
Post: 50-52 Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3QP
Due to the large number of applications that we receive we can only contact shortlisted candidates.